Urban Mushroom Growing with Stuart Muir Wilson
Magnificent mushrooms 101
What: Urban Mushroom Growing with Stuart Muir Wilson
When: Sunday 25th March and Saturday 7th April
Where: Seedwell, Marist 180, Skills Development Centre, 1 Dawson Street, Brunswick, Melbourne
(walk between the library and 1 Dawson St, following the signs).
Includes: All materials, grazing food, organic wine & fairtrade tea
Suitable for beginners and intermediate mushroom growers.
Bringing fresh new energy and innovation in the sustainable food movement. Mushrooms connect humanity directly to the immune system of nature. Allowing plants to exchange important nutrients, creating ecosystems that are more resilient to pests, drought and toxic wastes. Which is increasingly important given the pressures of climate change and plastic waste on which the eco-systems society ultimately depends. Mycelium (mushrooms) turn toxic waste (oil, plastic and synthetic chemicals) into harmless biological food for the wider ecosystem.
This hands-on workshop will teach the principles of mushroom/mycelium growing and introduce you to the skills you need to start growing your favourite mushrooms at home. We'll be running through basic mycology and inoculation, working with Oyster, Lions Mane and Reishi mushrooms.
We'll be making a delicious mushroom stir-fry for lunch and a grazing table of produce from the gardens to snack on throughout the workshop with time for a great chat about all things mycology.
We will also be teaching you how to grow mushrooms on South facing balcony and in the garden!
At the end of the workshop, we'll be sending you home with a kit to start your own mushroom growing adventure.
Your teacher: Stuart Wilson
Stu's passionate about mycelium and integrating Permaculture, Architecture and Urban Design. He has recently become involved in a project (Seedwell) supporting a range of citizens in Melbourne to learn about and implementing social and environmental justice. This involves permaculture ethics and also includes social enterprises, growing indigenous local foods, guerilla gardening, and tranquil healing gardens providing a rich interwoven tapestry of inner-city ecological solutions.
Stuart Muir Wilson is an International changemaker, Community project leader and Architect who grew up working on his grandfather's farm (Bill Mollison-permaculture co-founder). Stuart is an innovative practising sustainable architect, inventor and eco-systems thinker, integrating urban ecologies into Melbourne's built environment. Finishing his Master of Architecture degree with honours at the University of Tasmania in 2012, his honours thesis focused on integrating Permaculture, Architecture and Urban Design. Obtaining considerable recognition in Cuba at the International Permaculture Conference with his keynote address. Stuart has lectured internationally on sustainability at a University level. Advising several leading international governments on holistic environmental systems strategy. Stuart now leads, designed and is the director of two community garden hubs assisting disadvantaged youth in Melbourne as well as several other innovative projects at the forefront of the food, permaculture and sustainability industries.
We create a beautiful, warm atmosphere to make you feel at home in our cosy, plant-filled studio. We encourage attendees to slow down, share stories and take the opportunity to connect with others in our community.
We are proud to support local artists, ethical businesses and community groups and we consider our impact on the earth it’s people in every aspect of our business. We are always learning and improving our processes.
Extra info: All workshop topics available as a customised private workshop with a min of x10 at our studio or at a location of your choice. We also offer sustainable event management, catering - grazing tables, lighting & floristry. We cater for all diets - vegan, lactose & gluten free.
- This hands-on workshop will teach the principles of mushroom/mycelium growing and introduce you to the skills you need to start growing your favourite mushrooms at home.
- Basic mycology and inoculation, working with Oyster, Lions Mane and Reishi mushrooms.
- Learn how to grow mushrooms on South facing balcony and in the garden!
- A delicious mushroom stir-fry for lunch and a grazing table of produce from the gardens to snack on throughout the workshop.
- Mushroom kit to start your own mushroom growing adventure
- Wine and tea
- An open mind ready to learn
As long as you are comfortable
Please refer to clause (1) of our Terms & Conditions.
Terms and Conditions
This contract outlines an agreement and includes all contractional obligations on even date between Put Your Heart Into It and the You the Customer in regard to the Workshop to which this booking confirmation pertains.
(1) All bookings are Non-Refundable
(2) All Bookings are Transferable to a second party in the event that the customer is unable to attend the workshop, such transfers must be requested 7 hours prior to the Workshop for desired transfers to be eligible.
(3) In the rare event that Put Your Heart Into It is required to cancel a Workshop the customer will receive either a full refund within 3 days of said cancellation or the opportunity to transfer said booking to another Put Your Heart Into It workshop of even value within 12 (twelve) months of said cancellation.
(4) Cancellations may be advised by Put Your Heart Into It at any time prior to the Workshop event.
(5) Put Your Heart Into It reserves the right to use any images taken at the workshops for Social Media & Advertising, if you wish for images not to be shared Put Your Heart Into It requests same to be expressed in writing prior to Workshop event.
(6) In the Event that you do not agree with the above Terms & Conditions you may request a full refund within 48 hours of even date of receipt of this booking confirmation.